Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bulked Up Basmati

I'm a hypocrite.  I used to hate it when my mom would neglect to tell us what we were actually eating for dinner.  One time I thought I was eating minty steak - - nope, it was lamb.  Another time I thought I was eating veggie soup - - nope, it was chicken organ soup.  Last night I made rice cooked in V8 and didn't tell the hubby until after (who happens to hate tomatoes).  He liked it!  I also added spinach to it to add even more nutrient goodness.  Very yummy!

Ingredients
1 cup water
1 cup V8 or tomato juice
1 cup basmati rice (or any rice! Not minute rice - YUCK!)
1/2 package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
Tabasco sauce (however spicy you like it will depend on how much you put in)
1 tsp pepper
salt to taste

Method
Boil water,V8 and Tabasco.  Pour everything else in, reduce to low heat, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Double check your rice package to ensure you are cooking it for the correct amount of time.  Brown rice tends to take longer.  Serve as a side dish.

No comments: