Friday, November 5, 2010

Mini Pumpkin Scones

A few things that I'm a fan of (not that I'm a fan of only a few things), in no particular order:
                 1. Starbucks
                 2. Homemade baked goods
                 3. Clove, ginger & nutmeg
These items all give me a sense of warm and comfort; a feeling of the holidays.  Ever since I was small I've been a nut about holidays, specifically the Christmas season.  With some major life changes over the last few years I've had a difficult time finding that childlike passion I once had.  Thanks to a few different factors, I am pleased to say that I've found that child again!  The ridiculously humid weather this summer (and a lack of A/C), fantastic family and friends, and a job that I absolutely love have all got me to this point.  I am so excited for the Christmas season and plan on relishing in every moment of it.  Shopping, mall crowds, many family get togethers . . . BRING IT ON!   The below recipe has a subtle pumpkin flavour and are super easy to make.  It tastes JUST like Starbucks pumpkin scones. What a treat!

 2 c all-purpose flour
7 tbsp (which is 1/4 c + 2 tbsp) sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
6 tbsp (which is 1/4 c + 1 tbsp) cold butter
1/2 c canned pumpkin
3 tbsp half-and-half
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease baking sheet. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Using a pastry knife, fork, or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half and half, and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick square. Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough in half. Slice each half into 6-8 triangles. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 11-14 minutes. Scones should begin to turn light brown. Place on wire rack to cool. Makes: 12-16 mini scones.

Icing
1 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk

mixed two ingredients until desired texture.  If it's too dry after mixing, add a little more milk (that's what she said).  Ice scones.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just can't keep up - wow!!
These recipes are great - the chix keg one - and now the pumpkin scones - I like the icing on the scones.
~Nina