Sunday, July 27, 2014

Tobermory


We just arrived home from a lovely mini vacation in Tobermory with some pretty spectacular people.  My childhood best friend who moved to the states 17 years ago invited us to join them at a family cottage. My husband and I jumped at the opportunity to be able to introduce our peanut to her and to spend some quality time with her and her beautiful family.  Although the weather wasn't the warmest, we had a great time. We visited over coffee, went to a kid friendly beach, and hiked the Bruce trail. It was perfect.  Peanut did amazing! Although her nap strike somewhat continued she slept like a champion through the nights and wasn't cranky the entire trip. I was apprehensive to take her away again since the weekend away four weeks ago didn't go so smoothly. Peanut is starting to rolling with the punches and I think she is slowly accepting the fact that her mom is a busybody and likes to be on the go a lot.


I can't seem to rotate this picture...
My husband and I were in charge of one day of meals for 6 adults and 4 kiddos when we were there.  Since I knew our visiting time was limited I wanted to prepare as much as possible ahead of time.  We decided on muffins, fruit and yogurt for breakfast, quiche for lunch and chili for dinner - both meals I made at home and transported them there. I've only made quiche once before so I wasn't sure how it was going to go but was happy with the outcome. Here is the recipe I came up with.

Ingredients
9 inch deep dish pie crust
1 cup milk (some people like to use half and half cream)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheese
4 slices cooked bacon crumbled
1 cup of diced veggies (I used tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, peppers, and onion)
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Use pie crust from frozen. Combine veggies, bacon and cheese and put into pie crust. In a bowl combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper and mix. Pour into pie crust and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes then lower to 350 for 35-40 minutes. That is all. Super duper easy!
My husband and peanut checking out the Grotto on the Bruce Trail

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jill! Btw- Your quiches, chili, and muffins were amaz-balls!! Thank you so much for bringing them! It was so fun to visit with you and your sweet family! Also- just so you know, I'm going to be using your recipes quite a bit in the next few months! You've inspired me :) Lots of love, Erika