Thursday, July 17, 2014

Quick Shepherd's Pie

My three and a half month old has given up on naps for the last 1.5 weeks so finding time to do anything is a challenge. She closed her eyes for 25 minutes this morning so I thought I would use the time to get dinner made since my husband had to work late tonight and I likely wouldn't have a spare minute because of the nap strike. I had ground beef in the fridge so I thought a quick and easy Shepherd's pie that I could toss in the fridge until dinner would be a good idea.

Picture from here

Yield: 3-4 servings

Ingredients
1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 sweet onion, chopped
3/4 cup corn (or mixture of corn, peas and carrots)
4 medium potatoes, cubed (I keep skins on)3 tablespoons milk
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup sour cream
pinch of paprika
salt and pepper

Method
Boil a medium pot of water and add potatoes.  Boil until they are tender. While potatoes cook, in a frying pan over medium heat cook ground beef, onion and BBQ sauce. Cook until beef is no longer pink. Put beef mixture in the bottom of an oven safe dish and top with corn. Drain tender potatoes and add milk, garlic, sour cream, paprika, salt and pepper and mix using an electric mixture until smooth. Spread potato mixture over. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments: