Monday, July 1, 2013

Happy Canada Day!


Picture from here
Nothing says 'Happy Canada Day' like a little Mexican Bean Salsa.  All I have to say is thank God July has arrive! June is always such a crazy month with the end of school, interviews, exams, Birthdays, Father's Day, etc. and this June was no exception. Needless to say, I really dropped the ball with the whole cooking thing in June. My fridge is scarce. My mind, body and soul are in desperate need of some time off. It will be nice to get back in the kitchen for some cooking therapy this summer. 

Last night I was on the highway until 9pm and got home to an empty fridge and empty tummy.  Using the crap I had around the kitchen I made a pretty tasty Mexican Bean Salsa that filled me up while watching trashy TV (that's what she said). This recipe makes a lot but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to polish the entire batch off myself in a few short days. Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup corn
1 tomato, diced
1 avocado, pitted and diced
2 tablespoons red onion, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (cilantro would work too but I hate that shit)
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice concentrate
1 teaspoon lime juice concentrate
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1-2 tablespoons pickled hot banana peppers, chopped (optional)
salt & pepper to taste

Method
Chuck all ingredients in a bowl and mix.  Serve with corn chips or as a topping on salad, hamburgers or nachos. I ate it right away but it would be good to let it marinate in the fridge for an hour or so.

No comments: