Saturday, March 2, 2013

Freezer Cooking - Beef Stew

Pic taken with my phone -- poor quality
A few weeks ago I posted about a batch of freezer cooking I did.  I've eaten three meals so far and I wasn't at all happy with one of them.  I ended up throwing half of it out because it was so Blah!  It was Pineapple Pork Tenderloin.  A chili recipe I used was alright, but it was pretty over cooked.  I won't even bother sharing either of those recipes because they totally weren't worth the work.  My classic chili recipe is far better.  I still have a few more meals to sample so I will keep you posted on how yummy/nasty they are. A recipe I actually liked was beef stew. It made enough for 6 large servings.  I'm not sure that I'll invest more time in freezer crock pot cooking, but rather do up some more freezer meals like muffins, lasagnas, pot pies, etc.  I've always wanted to have extras in the freezer to hand off to friends/family who might need it (a new arrival of a baby, a death in the family, or an illness).

Ingredients
1 pound stewing beef, cubed
4 carrots, sliced
4 red potatoes, cut into large cubes
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup of frozen green peas or whatever you have (I tossed in some celery and corn too)

Method
Place all ingredients in a resealable gallon-sized freezer bag. Mix together and zip bag closed. When ready to eat, remove from freezer and cook in crock pot on LOW for 8 hours.

No comments: