Sunday, May 6, 2012

French Fries

French fries are where it's at. Unlike pizza I am fairly picky when it comes to the fries I like.  They need to be seasoned properly and cannot be mushy at all.  I obviously prefer the deep fried fast food ones, however I know this isn't an option on a regular basis.  My students and I were discussing our favourite foods this past week and I was amazed at how many of them believed the frozen fries that are purchased from the grocery store to be a healthy option. Most had no idea that they are in fact pre deep fried and assumed because they bake them at home they were good for you. I wish. I found this on the McCain Foods website (I couldn't seem to location nutritional information but this will do);

FAQ: Are your frozen French fries already fried?

Yes, some of our products are par fried in vegetable oil. Par frying is a hot, fast, frying method that prepares the product for the cooking instructions as noted on the package. All of our products require additional preparation/cooking prior to eating; they are not considered Ready to Eat.
(More information found here)

I make homemade potato wedges every so often (here & here) but this week I made fries instead, and I have to say I like them better then the wedges. This girl can't resist a crispy fry. If you have a french fry lover in your house I totally recommend these. I served them with my homemade chicken fingers (here). Enjoy!

Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients
2 large yellow potatoes
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Method
Wash potatoes and dry them thoroughly with a dish rag.  With skins on, cut into long pieces (about the width of your pinky finger). Put in a medium sized bowl and toss with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Coast with seasoning salt (or any of your favourite spices/herbs).  Bake at 400 degrees on a parchment lined cookie sheet for about 30 minutes, flipping once half way through.

No comments: