Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Jerk Update

...and I'm not talking about an update of my students...

A few weeks ago I attempted Jerk Chicken here and wasn't overly thrilled with the outcome.  I wasn't able to get a true read of how tasty or gross it was since there was a fairly significant layer of crispy burntness (that's an official cooking term, right?) on the outside.  I'm back to report that it is YUMMY!  I baked a few chicken drumsticks rolled in the dry rub for 40 minutes at 400 degrees (rotating once) and served it with a rice/bean mixture.  A true Jamaican meal. The only thing we were missing was the Jamaica sunshine and the unlimited drinks ;)  Next week I am going to try making a new Jamaican BBQ sauce. I am determined to find a recipe that tastes JUST like the one we loved while on vacation.

Yields: 6 large servings

Rice Ingredients
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
splash of Tabasco (to taste)
1/2 cup salsa
1 can bean medley, rinsed and drained

Method
Cover and bring everything but the beans to a boil.  Turn to low heat and simmer for 13 minutes. Stir in beans and let sit on warm burner for 5 additional minutes (burner should be turned off).

No comments: