Friday, November 25, 2011

Emptying the fridge...

I've been a slacker with the blog for the past few weeks. My bad. I've been distracted with Christmas decorating and shopping.  I'm proud to say that I'm about 90% done my Christmas shopping. WOOT WOOT!  This year I work right up until December 23rd, BOO! I wanted to get all the shopping done long before then so I can spend the week leading up to Christmas enjoying life, and not wandering the mall and having the urge to punch people between the eyes or drop kick them.  I even made a spreadsheet of gift ideas and budgeting. I must have been avoiding laundry or something...

This week we ordered Chinese food so we've been working on those leftovers for a bit.  I haven't spent much time in the kitchen at all... with the exception of making this soup. I noticed a few days ago that I had some veggies that needed to be used up or else I'd have the toss them.  Quick fix; soup. I basically threw everything in a pot and simmered for and hour.  If you have extra veggies hanging around that aren't going to last much longer, think about whipping together a quick soup to limit the amount of food tossed.

what I used:
1 can lentils, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup quinoa, rinced thoroughly
2 leeks, halved & sliced
1 tomato, diced
1 carrot, sliced
3/4 cup corn
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1 red pepper, diced
4 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt & pepper to taste

It made A LOT of soup so I put most in the freezer to use later. 
  

No comments: