Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

This is the first time I've ever made a chicken pot pie.  In fact, I don't think I've eaten one since before I moved out of my parents house years and years ago.  My husband has been in a soccer tournament all day, playing 4 games back-to-back.  It's a wee bit chilly out there today so I wanted to make a cozy dinner for when he gets home. I've had a box of puff pastry in the freezer for quite sometime and I wanted to use it up.  I purchased it in hopes that I'd make a creative appetizer when friends came over a few months back but I never got around to it.  Story of my life (I dream big...ha!).  After reading 4 different recipes for pot pie this is what I came up with using items that I had around the kitchen.  Hope it tastes good! (picture to come - opps, I forgot to take a picture.)
*Next time I make this I will use a real pie crust and you should too.  The puff pastry was good, but I think they pie crust would be WAY better.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 chicken breasts, cubed
2 medium potatoes, partially peeled & cubed
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 frozen peas
1/2 frozen corn
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon sage
salt and pepper to taste
1 square of puff pastry, thawed (takes about 3 hours to thaw on the counter)
1 egg

Method
Boil potatoes until they are close to done.  Remove from heat and drain. Cook cubed chicken in a frying pan with olive oil. Add onion once chicken is just about done.  Cook 4 more minutes or until onion begins to go clear. Add all ingredients (except puff pastry & egg) into a large bowl. Mix until coated. Grease a deep dish pie plate (or shallowish casserole dish).  Pour mixture into dish. On a floured surface roll out puff pastry until it is the size of your dish.  Place on top, making sure no pastry is hanging over the edge.  Beat egg and paint onto top of pastry.  Discard remaining egg. Cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. 
This is a great dish to prepare before company arrives because you can just toss it in the oven once they arrive and you can visit without distraction.

No comments: