Saturday, August 20, 2011

Shrimp Quinoa with Kale

Kale...hmmm.  I don't think I've ever eaten it before.  A girlfriend told me that she cooks with kale and has even made kale chips (I'll attempt later in the week), so I decided to give kale a chance.  Tonight I made a shrimp quinoa with kale which earned a two thumbs up from Mr. Hubby.  He said he really liked the texture of it.  I use spinach A LOT when I cook which basically turns to mush when you add it to stuff, but kale seems to keep a little crunch. I will definitely be adding kale to my regular purchases from the grocery store. Kale packs a punch in the nutrition department (check it out!).

Quinoa Ingredients (pssst: this is very good for you! TRY IT!)
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Method
Throw everything into a pot over medium heat until it boils.  Cover, reduce heat and simmer for
20 minutes.  Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes.  Fluff with fork.

Shrimp and Kale Tomato Sauce Ingredients
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bag of cooked, peeled, tails off shrimp (about 50 small shrimp)
2 cups kale, chopped
1 cup pasta sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice concentrate
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
Your cooked quinoa that you have set aside
fresh Parmesan cheese to garnish

Method
In a large fry pan heat olive oil. Add the garlic red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and saute for 1 minute. Add everything else except for the quinoa and cheese.  Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Serve over quinoa and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese.  This is very similar to a pasta dish but much better for you!

No comments: