Friday, August 5, 2011

Cottage Hummus

My husband and I are getting ready to head up north with a bunch of friends.  We are beyond excited about escaping for the week, but more specifically we are pumped to be spending our vacay with our amazing friends. We booked the cottage in February and have been 'planning' since early May.  Cooking for 10 people everyday would be brutal so we decided that each couple would sign up for a day and is responsible for purchasing, transporting, preparing and serving brunch and dinner.  Smart! We are doing french toast with fruit for brunch and pork souvlaki and vegetable kabobs with tzatziki (whoa, that's tough to spell! Had to google it....) and a Greek pasta salad. I will posted recipes once I return.

Collectively, we decided it would be easiest to hit Costco and stock up on snack foods for everyone.  Another smart idea! One of the snack requests; hummus.  Being the cheapo that I am, I will never, ever buy premade hummus again.  Although delicious, it is ridiculously over priced! I offered to make a huge homemade batch a bring it up.  It is different the my other hummus recipe and has roasted garlic (a requests from a fellow cottager) which give it a sweeter flavour. Here is the breakdown of the total cost of this triple batch of hummus:

$2.37 (3 cans chick peas)
$0.96 (2 jumbo garlic bulbs)
~0.60 (tahini, salt, olive oil, lemon juice - I had already)
TOTAL: $3.93     (*I didn't even use a calculator to add this up!! Hope it's correct.)

This amount of hummus at the store would have been well over $10.00.  This way there are ZERO preservatives/additives and I get the satisfaction knowing I saved a few buckaroos.  Enjoy!

Yields: 3 1/2 cups of hummus

Ingredients
3 cans of chick peas, drained and rinsed (you'd be surprised how much salt is on those suckers!)
2 bulbs garlic, roasted (Chop tips off top of bulb. Drizzle with olive oil & wrap in foil. Bake at 375 for 1 hr. Once cooled, pop out garlic cloves)
4 tablespoons tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice concentration (or juice from 1 large lemon)
1/4 warm water
1/4 teaspoon salt
Paprika to garnish the top with

Method
Throw everything is a food processor and mix until creamy. If it's not creamy enough add a little olive oil at a time until desired texture. Serve with veggie sticks, crackers and pita triangles.

No comments: