Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sweet Chili Chicken on Rice

Fact: I'm sick of chicken.
Solution: Try cooking different 'cuts' of chicken with different types of sauces

I'm not one for meat bones (that's what she said).  It wasn't until a few years ago that I could stomach having the bone of an animal on my plate.  Over the past year I've been learning to work with and cook meats that are on the bone.  I'm still a work in progress but I'm getting there.  Yesterday at the grocery store I was a total bone cop out.  I purchased boneless, skinless chicken thighs, which I've surprisingly never cooked with.  I created a dish using a prepared sweet chili sauce, which was a success.

Ingredients
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 handful fresh snow peas
1/4 prepared sweet chili sauce
5 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 water
1 cups cooked rice

Method
Put everything (except rice and snow peas) in a skillet and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.  Break up chicken into bite size pieces as you stir. 5 minutes before its done, throw in the snow peas. Serve over a bed of rice.

Here is a homemade version of sweet chili sauce.  I've never made it but will certain try once my bottle runs out.

Ingredients:1/2 cup rice vinegar (or substitute white vinegar)
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. white sugar
1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 Tbsp. sherry (or cooking sherry)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 Tbsp. dried crushed chili (1 Tbsp. makes spicy-hot sauce)
1+1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 3-4 Tbsp. cool water

Method
1.Place all ingredients (except the cornstarch-water mixture) in a pot. Bring to a rolling boil.
2.Reduce heat to medium and let boil for 10 minutes.
3.Reduce heat to low and add the cornstarch-water mixture. Stir to incorporate and continue stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens (about 2 minutes).
4.Remove from heat and taste-test. You should taste "sweet" first, followed by sour, then spicy and salty notes. If the sauce isn't sweet enough, add a little more sugar. If not spicy enough, add more chili.

No comments: