Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Rhubarb Crisp


We have about 10 rhubarb plants growing along the side of our barn that are HUGE (that's what she said). I've never weeded, watered or treated these plants in any way over the last 4 years and they never fail to produce an amazing crop.  I have to admit, rhubarb isn't my favourite however my husband is a huge fan.  I've made stewed rhubarb, rhubarb muffins, loaves, and crisps but have never made rhubarb pie.  That will be my next mission.  Tonight I tried out a new crisp recipe.  Hope you like it :)




Ingredients

1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup flour
3/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla


MethodIn a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, butter and cinnamon; mix together until crumbly. Press half of the brown sugar and oats mixture into a buttered square baking dish. Top with rhubarb. In a saucepan combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, and the 1 cup of water and vanilla. Cook together until clear, then pour over rhubarb. Top rhubarb with remaining crumb mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

2 comments:

Jen Omstead said...

one of my top 10 favs,, looks delish xoxo yes top 10,, i like alot of food xoxo love you xoxo

Jinny McCreary said...

Jill, you are such a goddess!! (You tell Eric that I said he is one of the luckiest guys around and he had better be good to you.) You not only grow and harvest some of your own crops but you whip them into a gastronomical delight and then post them so we can all benefit from it. I sure did something right in raising you!!
(Of course, it is all about me.)

Love you,
Mom