Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Homemade Granola Bars

It's no secret that I love my job.  I consider myself so lucky to be able to be apart of the daily lives of 70+ teenagers every semester. It's pretty awesome. What makes my job even better are the people I work with. For 6 years I have worked along side someone who has become a dear friend to me (my wing-woman & my work-wife) who happens to bring me treats every so often. Told ya - I'm one lucky lady! The other day she brought me a homemade granola bar and holy shit, I kid you not, they are delicious. They are by no means healthy, but they sure are delicious. I made a batch this weekend and gave a few to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law to enjoy and I got a text message the next day saying " those granola bars are off the f'n hook. I'm going to need that recipe." So D, here it is. Enjoy!

Ingredients
3 3/4 cups rolled oats
2 cups rice krispies
1/4 cup ground flax
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar                                        
1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips/raisins/dried cranberries/slivered almonds/walnuts etc. whatever your heart desires

Method
Toss all of the dry ingredients in a bowl (except chocolate chips if you are using them - they will melt) and set aside. Over medium heat melt honey, butter, brown sugar and vanilla together and stir continuously. Remove from heat once melted and pour over dry ingredients. Stir. If using chocolate chips add once mixture is cooled. Pour into a 9x13" baking dished lined with waxed paper and flatten. Place in fridge for 30 minutes. Remove and cut. Keep them refrigerated. ENJOY! Good luck staying out of the fridge with these in the house...

No comments: