Sunday, June 24, 2012

Chips


Salty snacks are my jam. Sure, chocolate cake is good, but hit me with a bag of Miss. Vickie's potato chips and this girl will be in heaven.  Tonight I was craving a treat so I decided to try out making my own potato chips. OH BABY! It is beyond easy and they are beyond tasty. You seriously cannot go wrong.  Use whatever spices you want to season them.  Dill, chili powder, garlic salt, pepper, the list goes on and on.  Try this out - you won't be disappointed.  I used potatoes that I grabbed from a Farmer's Markets on my way home from work Friday. They were on the small side, so I would recommend using large potatoes so it speeds up the process. It does take some time but it's completely worth it knowing they aren't deep fried and processed. Enjoy!

Yield: Snacks for 2
Ingredients
1-2 large white or red potatoes, slices SUPER thin (depends on how hungry you are)
A splash of olive oil
any spice/herb you love (I used salt and pepper this time)

Method
Wash and slice potatoes super thin. Toss them in a bowl with olive oil and spices. Spread slices on a microwave safe plate, making sure they aren't on top of one another.  Place in microwave for 5ish minutes. Remove from microwave (careful the plate is HOT), flip slices (I'm not sure if you HAVE to do this step... I will experiment this week and let you know). Put back in the microwave for 5 more minutes. Remove when they all have brown flecks throughout. They should be hard to the touch (that's what she said). Remove and let cool for 2 minutes. Serve. 

They should be fine to keep for a day or two in an air-tight if you cannot eat them all.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Salty snacks ARE totally your Jam- mine is sugary snacks ....Ry - like you is a salty man and is presently creating potato chips from your blog! Yum yum!

Ryan said...

Chips were great Jill, didn't bother flipping them. Only problem is that microwave isn't big enough to cook as many as I want, so I needed to do 5 batches in there. I also burned some.... that was Katie's fault though.

Ryan