Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sweet Potato & Chick Pea Curry

I have a problem.  When I watch a cooking show I immediately HAVE to cook whatever was on the show.  Last week I was watching "Best Recipes Ever" (The host really annoys me but I like that its a half hour show).  The episode was about vegetarian cooking and the three recipes she made looked very tasty.  There wasn't suppose to be sweet potato in this recipe but I didn't have any squash in the house.  It turned out pretty tasty however next time I would half the recipe because I'm the only one in my house that will eat it...

Servings: 6ish

Ingredients
3 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger root
1 tbsp curry powder
1 can light coconut milk (or ½ cup milk + 1 additional cup of stock)
1 cup vegetable stock (I used chicken)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups packed fresh spinach
1 cup frozen green peas
1 tsp coriander

Method
In Dutch oven, fry onion, garlic, coriander and ginger as directed. Add curry paste; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sweet potato and chickpeas; stir to coat. Add coconut milk, stock and salt; bring to boil. Cover and simmer, stirring twice, until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Gently stir in spinach and peas; cook, stirring, until spinach wilts, about 5 minutes. Serve as a stew.

No comments: