Thursday, June 9, 2011

Beer Battered Perch

I don't eat seafood very often but wish I did.  My goal for the next little while is to try out some new yummy recipes that have a variety of seafood in them.  This was my first time frying something.  It tasted great but I definitely won't be using this type of recipe often because I'm not a fan of at home frying.  I'd much prefer to keep that cooking method at the restaurant. 

Yields: 2-3 servings

Ingredients
6 ocean perch fillets (ocean perch are far bigger then lake perch)
1 cup flour (reserve 1/4 for dusting)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 bottle room temp beer
salt & pepper to taste
Canola oil (enough to have a good layer of oil going on the bottom of your pan - I used about 1/2 cup)

Method
In a bowl mix 3/4 cup of flour with chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper and beer. Put in fridge for 20 minutes to chill.  Meanwhile, coat fish with remaining 1/4 cup of flour.  Over medium heat, warm oil in a deep drying pan.  Dip fillets into batter mixture and add to warm oil.  Cook on each side for about 5 minutes.  Remove from oil and serve with tartar sauce (mayo & relish mixture).

1 comment:

Ryan Fitzy said...

hey jill, have you ever tried making crab cakes? Always taste great at restaurants, and I've always wondered how hard they are to make.

If you have any success, be sure to teach Katie ;)