Sunday, April 14, 2013

Yummy French Onion Soup

French onion soup has got to be one of my favourite soups ever.  There is something so comforting about it.  Today I made a huge batch that will last us for at least 4 more servings.  I've written a french onion soup recipe on here before but I have to say this one was much tastier.  For some reason when you add wine to dishes they taste SO.MUCH.BETTER. Last night I used white wine in the mussels and tonight it was red wine in french onion soup.  My husband isn't much of a wine drinker (GASP!) so I find that I often have leftover wine.  I've been freezing it in 1/2 cup servings and it has come in so handy.  Here is the yummy recipe.  Enjoy!

Yield: 6+ servings
Ingredients
tablespoons butter
large Spanish onions, quartered and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup flour
cups beef broth (I used 8 cups water & 4 beef bouillon cubes)
1 cup red wine
1 bay leaf
Mozzarella cheese to top
French bread

Method
In a large soup pot melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, salt, pepper and thyme and cook about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf and transfer to broiler safe bowls. Preheat broiler. Top bowls with french bread slices and cheese (mozza is best). Place bowls on baking sheet and broil until cheese is bubbly. about 3 minutes. Remove and serve. So f'n good.

No comments: