Sunday, April 7, 2013

Apple Pie Pockets

I try to avoid baking because my husband and I end up eating entire batches to ourselves.  I know I can toss leftovers in the freezer but lets be honest, we'd just end up eating frozen cookies.  Today is a hang -round-the-house-and-get-shit-done day so I told my husband I'd make any baked good that he wanted. I barely got the offer out and he said 'apple pie'. Alrightly then.  I wasn't going to slave away and make homemade pie crust so I decided on individual pie pockets using puff pastry that has been hanging around my freezer for a few months.  These little guys turned out great! Super easy and cute (that's what he said).

Yield: 6 servings/individual pockets

Ingredients
1 square or roll of puff pastry
1 large apple (or 2 small), peeled and sliced into small cubes
1/3 cupbrown sugar
2 teaspoons flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg, beaten

Method
Thaw puff pastry for two hours at room temperature. Peel, core and chop apples up into little cubes. Combine apples with sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Preheat oven to 400F. Flour surface lightly and roll out your puff pastry as big as possible in a square shape. Cut pastry sheet into 12 3x3 squares. Place about 2 tablespoons of apple mixture on each square. Place second pastry square on top form a pocket. Press down the edge with fingers to seal and then press with fork to decorate the edges. Brush top with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Using a fork, pierce top of each square. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 20-23 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: